Thursday, February 17, 2011

Luke's Hunter

Been off the air for a while. Sorry about that. Thanks for the emails and phonecalls enquiring about my health. The hunter that Luke has recently acquired is quite a famous one really. Here's some pics from way back when it was a South Australian car.
It was owned then by Phil Soden (I'm relying on my memory which is not like it used to be) who I think acquired it from the estate of the original owner/builder in the 70s. He subsequently moved to Sydney but retained the SA rego until he offered it for sale in about 1982. It was built by Ian and Jill Hindmarsh who had a garage/workshop in country NSW and here's an article on it from the Nov. 1962 SCW.
They raced the car successfully and I just noticed this page from an old 1963 VSCCA hillclimb program.
Ian in the 70s met an untimely end when he was drowned along with his sports car team mate, David Moline when David's dad, Paul's Sydney-Hobart yacht, Nimbus II, capsized. This is the obituary that appeared in Racing Car News at the time.
Anyway, Phil bought the car and eventually offered it to me in the 80s. I was a bit backward in coming forward and that's probably when Geoff picked it up.

No comments: