Thursday, March 25, 2010

Power Steering on Bollies.

Heard from Rob Luck last week. He posed the question - "How many Mk 7s and Mk 8s do you reckon have been fitted with power steering? If so how many worked, or were OK?"
I can't answer that. Maybe someone else can. From where I sit Bolwells with power steering are a bit thin on the ground. Come to think of it there were one or two Nagaris with power steering.
Anyway, I picked up a UC Torana front end and have been thinking about it a bit myself. I think it was Graham Nichols who pointed out to me something on the internet about the subject. Matt, the owner of this great looking A9X picked up a TF Cortina power steering rack as well as a WRX STI one, did all the homework and finally settled on the Subaru example. He's done a step by step description, complete with photos and graphs for bump steer and adjustable camber and castor ranges.This can be found on Car Domain "Top Rides Blog" pages 2 to 4 of "Matt's Holden Torana - Little Red Torvette". http://www.cardomain.com/ride/480776/2 Worth bookmarking.

4 comments:

Colin said...

XAP999 has power steering. How does it drive? From my time at the wheel 18 months ago it seemed to drive really well.

Anonymous said...

I have seen an article in an English Classic car mag. re electric power steering, that assists on the column, I'll try to dig up the story.
Every Bolwell made came with "Arm-Strong" power steering, do we really need any other sort? or are we getting frail & dottery?

PeterG

Colin said...

JL remember Simon A developed a power rack for a company intending to market them for US conversions. the Camira rack is used by many but Simon's rack was brand new and designed and developed for the intended use.

Rob Luck said...

Reason I asked is we are working on a fully-integrated electric power steering system for our car. I suspected that the answer was 'not many' and that this could help overcome heavy steering loadings on many cars. As Glenn Goldfinch will engineer the installation it should be suitable for M7s and Nagaris as a bolt-in one-stop solution at relatively low cost. Will keep everyone up to date as we progress it. Best to all Rob Luck