Sunday, November 28, 2010

Toran

This is the Toran, an early 60s sportscar.
It had a space frame chassis and a mid-mounted 1500 supercharged Hillman engine with VW box. The body was aluminium and glass. It also had home made magnesium wheels, uprights and a few other bits.
I don't know its history but intend to find out. Tell me that nose isn't Mark 4 sourced if you dare.
I can't help thinking of the SR6 when I see it. (The orange one in this picture).
Same concept, mid engined, space frame, Mark 4 derived nose.

6 comments:

Art C said...

Isn't it sad that this type of owner/constructor/driver racing sports car is now shunned.
Unfortunately SPRA only caters to the past where they could have nurtured a whole new breed of enthusiasts.

Anonymous said...

Which SPRA do you mean, a quick Gooogle resulted in - Special Purchase and Resale Agreement -Shen Pao Recycle Australia -Shar Pei Rescue Australia -Strathclyde Police Recreation Association -Social Policy Research Associates –Single Ply Roofing Association????

Acronyms one of the curses of a modern world

John L said...

My guess is Sports Prototype Racing Australia.

Anonymous said...

John, I found a photo of this very car at: http://aussieroadracing.homestead.com/GavinFry.html

Bolwell Porsche??

PeterG

Anonymous said...

Hi there. I'm currently restoring this car, you can contact me at 'soren(at)buronorth.com' if you want more pictures or information.

John L said...

We sure do.