Tuesday, June 1, 2010

An attractive body

There it is. The title under the picture says it all. It's a South Australian MG special entered in the 1955 AGP at Port Wakefield. But look, it has a Bugatti body.I've been looking really hard at that body and am now wondering whether this TC/Bugatti still exists. I'll tell you why. I think I've told you before about Michael Corp. When we were young blokes Michael had a lot of money which he set about spending on kegs of beer, all weekend parties, other men's wives, and fast, overpowered cars like a Holden powered MGTF, a Dodge powered Bugatti (called the Bugatti/Dodge) and a Ford V8 powered Alfa Romeo (called, oddly enough, the Alfa/Ford) which he drove all over the countryside at a great rate of knots, often coming to grief. This allowed us young fellers to pick up the bits. I don't know who ended up with the MG/Holden bits but Tony Cullen ended up with the Alfa/Ford which he built into a nice little unit using a shortened Fiat 503 chassis and I got the Bugatti body which sat in my mum and dad's back shed for years waiting for me to come up with a project to use it. Anyway, I look at the body in the photo and recognise so many little aspects of it. Now I'm waiting for everybody to write in and tell me that both cars existed at the same time. Which, on thinking further about it, was probably true.

1 comment:

John L said...

See, there was a time when I had an attractive body.