Monday, September 3, 2012

Invader GT

This body was on eBay.
It's an Invader GT (not to be confused with the British Gilbern Invader GT). The owner claimed it was the only one known to be in the country and I don't doubt it. It turns out that they are (or were) made by a company called Autokit, from Oakland, California. Here's a complete one.
Their advertising material suggests you can "turn your ugly duckling VW into a beautiful sports car without modifying the chassis". I'm still trying to decide which of the two is the real ugly duckling. Actually the old beetle doesn't look all that bad, especially compared to its modern counterpart.
A claim to fame was its boot space - unheralded in a sports car.
And the strength of the body - demonstrated by sitting an ugly duckling on top of it.




4 comments:

David said...

My daughter owns a 1975 L Beetle.
Her reaction was " why would anyone want to do that to a Beetle?"
I think I'd agree.

Graeme said...

Not sure one car on the roof proves much. I remember a Volvo add where they had half a dozen stacked on top.

Pig (OINKS) said...

I was the owner of that one, the guy who bought it paid $1,000 for it and all he wanted was to cut the guards from it to mold into an RX7 Mazda to fit wider tyres to it, I almost changed my mind to sell it, but I knew I was moving abroad, just wish I could have taken it with me to the Philippines...

Pig (OINKS) said...

Also the guy it came from had a space frame chassis for it with a V12 he reckoned he was going to race at the Leyburn Sprints in QLD. Never saw the setup he said he had but he said he was going for a different body hence why he was selling, there was more than enough room in the back for a Jag V12!