Sunday, April 29, 2012

Markson mystery unravels.

Graeme B (as opposed to Graham, the Markson owner) has come up with some photos.
This is a 1965 or 6 Markson back in the day. It was built by a Gordon Hook who went on to make a kit car called Amero and later built Corvette replicas. How the Mark 5 bits came to be used is quite interesting.
This is another Markson (or the same one) seeing daylight from under a tarp.
This is an Amero, fairly similar looking.
And this is a later model Amero.
Graham has written this:-
That is exactly my car.Over a period of time I have spoken with all the people you have mentioned as well. I also found trying to locate MR or MISS Hook to be impossible, as well, I think at one stage, I spoke to someone, who may have been a son of his, but the son??? was very vague in our conversation, but he did say, he new of a GORDON HOOK, and was going to get back to me, but this never happened, so I drew a blank in that area. After reading all sorts of article's on cars of this style that were built here in NZ back then, and putting together all the info that I have managed to collect over time,my own personal theory of this car is,that it is, an Australian MKV Bolwell body and chassis purchased from Bolwell in the mid 60's.After speaking to Graeme Bolwell personally,he does remember them selling a couple of bodies and chassis, back then, for cash flow reasons, but cannot remember to whom, or what ever become of them, and they have no records of the MKV's, as they were destroyed when the factory was burnt down.. I believe,the body and chassis was purchased from Bolwell , was cut into pieces to a shippable size, also the chassis,which was common practice back, then to enable someone to bring a car into NZ, without and import licence or not having overseas funds. I believe it was then shipped to NZ by someone who work for Air New Zealand (TEAL) at that time, and was assembled at TEAL at Whenuapai.According to a Don Subritzky,of Spitefire restoration fame, who was an apprentice for Teal, at Whenuapai, at that time, and went on to be in charge of the air frame maintainance, for Air New Zealand at Mangere, all sorts of things were made at Whenuapai, and he does remember a couple of cars being put together out there, but was not sure what they were, or what they turned out to be, and when Teal became Air New Zealand and moved to Mangere in 1967 all that sort of thing finished, and no more homer's were undertaken at Mangere.I believe at that time the unfinished body and chassis was on sold to Gordon Hook who took a molding off the car which become the Amero , and then onsold it to who ever, maybe a person named Reynolds who was the first owner of this car. But I could be wrong .
TBC


The activities at TEAL sounds a bit like some former employees at Qantas and WRE (and Chrysler/Mitsubishi) taking advantage of their workplace facilities.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny comment about Bolwell selling some bodies n chassis for cash flow reasons???? As a kit car maker back then what else were they doing but selling bodies and chassis to get cashflow???

Graham said...

Hi Anonymous You better ask Graeme Bolwell that question.His words to me,were, was when they were building or starting to build the Mark 5 or 6 that they sold off a couple of bodies and chassis for cash flow reasons.Do a bit of reegargarsearch like I have.Regards Graham

Graham said...

RESEARCH

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm currently looking at purchasing some moulds and included is the Amero (1 & 2 ?). I have yet to see them for myself could these be the missing cars?

Anonymous said...

i owned the markson gt 6 for many years and sold prior to aus inapprox 1994 and have info on history should any one be interested.

markson said...

Would the person who left this anonymous message please contact me at playtime@xtra.co.nz re info that you have on the Markson GT6 that you once owned in NZ
I am now the owner of this car and would appreciate any info that you could pass on to me regarding this car Regards Graham Pocock