Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Useful air vents

In the days before triple core cross-flow Statesman radiators and the like, we city-slickers of the time had a very real problem with overheating in our Nagaris during the summer months. In order to get some air flow through the engine bay many owners opened up the back of their power bulges. This really didn't do much because (and I have never learned the physics of it) air rushes down the windscreen, not up, creating a pressure point that doesn't encourage the hot air out. In March 1977 I bought what I considered a lovely yellow coupe, B8/26, in Melbourne, becoming its third owner. It had very aesthetically pleasing and very effective air vents at the outside rear of the bonnet. These were able to flow hot air from the engine bay around the side of the base of the windscreen and down the side of the car creating quite an airstream. In the four years that the car was my daily driver it always remained cool even when driving home from work at peak hour in the sometimes 40+ degree heat (and despite the daggy old Falcon radiators of the time). I have never seen these vents on another car before or since. B8/26 is no longer that Bolwell Yellow, being painted Pepper Red by Udo Selter in 1981. The car is still alive and well and living in Queensland in the hands of John Davies. Here are some photos of the vents and you will see what I mean.









I bought the car from Robert Moore of Torquay in Victoria. He didn't know the origins of the venting system. I don't know who the original owner was but the rego number when I bought it was BJ-302 and therefore I am assuming that B.J. was that person's initials. Rohan may be able to help me here. Robert Moore was a go-kart racer and B8/26 was his transporter. The bootlid had a very substantial rack bolted to it. While you can't tell from the outside, there is still evidence of where the bolt holes were on the underside.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

John, I recall Paul K. from ACT having B8/20 modified in a similar but far less elegantly, if you would like to read his thoughts of Bolwell ownership see: http://www.auslot.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5019&st=0&p=49880&#entry49880
Peter G.

John L said...

From our resident tech at the Mechanical Engineering Department at the Hunter Institute of TAFE comes:-
"G'day John,
Just read your blog post about the bonnet air vents, they look pretty neat.
That got me thinking. Do you know if anyone has ever put a Nagari in a wind tunnel (not likely I feel) but someone might have done the old 'tape lots of short lengths of wool to the body and film it from another car while it's moving' trick. That would be interesting to see."
Peter M

I do remember something like that but where, I'm not sure. Over to the rest of you.

John L said...

Peter, I've typed in that address I can't tell you how many times. I can't get it to work. I must be doing something wrong. That's the problem with us computer illiterate people.

Anonymous said...

That's because you aren't seeing hte whole address, John.
I got it to work by putting hte curser at the beginning of the address, hold shift button down and press the down arrow key to high light the whole line. Copy and paste it into your browser address bar and you are away.

OR, of course, you could just click onTHIS

Anonymous said...

That is a very clever idea and amazing that they worked so well. Some Nagari owners cut slots either side of the bonnet bulge. Does anyone know whether they were effective?

If anyone hasn't clicked on the link above, be warned the opinion isn't exactly flattering!

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!