Sunday, April 27, 2008

Kevin Cociani on B8/81 and B8/90

Hi John,
Well your information is correct, I bought chassis 81 from Vern Leng. He was getting a space frame chassis made for his Nagari B8/81. My chassis (103 or 104? - I can't remember right now) - (really chassis 90 - Ed.) was damaged and Vern wasn't happy with the way his car handled, so offered chassis 81 to me.
All I did was replace the badly worn shockers and suspension bushes and repainted the chassis and the coupe drives beautifully. I bought a brand new body from the Bolwell factory.

Just to refresh your memory, I'd bought a Nagari in 1978 (103 or 104?) - (90) and wrote it off after 2 weeks of owning it. I hit a tree in the country when I lost control at around 130mph. I still remember, (driving at 10pm).. I lost my high beams for some reason and kept driving using low beams heading towards Mannum cruising around 110 mph and I caught up to 2 HQ Monaros doing around 100mph, I over took them like they were standing still, once I got to my side of the road I glanced at the speedo and saw 140, I instantly lifted my foot off the pedal then looked up and the road had veered to the left and I had passed the bend. The Nagari still took the bend sideways in at incredible speeds, still trying to control the car, the car then turned and slid across the road and hit a ditch which was shaped like a ramp and found myself flying through the air. To this day I still say if the car was made of steel and not fibreglass I wouldn't be here today.

The car was fully restored to concourse condition more than 25 years ago, but now I drive it with more respect...
The car was a lethal weapon back then and even in these times and technology of today the Nagari is still lethal. I've driven a lot of cars but nothing compares to a Nagari, and that is why I've still got the car. I've had plenty of good offers but I can't see myself parting with it..

You can put this story and the attached pics in your Bolly Blog, looks like you have started something John. Your blog is getting pretty popular!!

Cheers Kevin Cociani Damaged
Unfinished
Chassis
Rebuilt Bolwell coupe

No comments: