Wednesday, April 1, 2009

an email

The following email arrived this morning:-
John,
I've been following your blog for a long time. I've always wanted to own a Bolwell, their such a great looking car.
I read with interest as often as possible your stories, you must be the Bolwell guru, so I have a question you may be able to answer. I recently found this clipping from a very old Australian Auto Action, did Bolwell build any more of these cars I know they built a few Sports but did they build any of this, I suppose SR-8 version. I eagerly await your reply.
Regards
Jason Atties Does anybody have any information on this very rare model?

5 comments:

Jim said...

I remember it well. The guy's name from memory was Pietro Carfane. The factory moved the motor and radiator to the rear to give his long legs plenty of room and also to provide a nice breeze to keep his feet cool which was much appreciated by his passenger as well.

ROB LUCK said...

The secret to the identity of this car lies in the 'address line' at the top - this is the famous 'unlucky 13' Nagari. Powered by a V12 from the Lamborghini Countach. This expermintal 'long tail' Nagari was so powerful it would leave two black skid marks from Melbourne to Sydney (except for the breaks for the gearchanges). Sadly it was destroyed when Campbell Bolwell backed it into a tree on a road that was to become part of the Targa Tasmania course (ironically the same tree that claimed Peter Brock). Campbell was actually killed in the accident but the event was hushed up and his little known fourth brother Horace assumed his identity to protect the Bolwell Sports Car factory. It is very pleasing to see someone has located some photo/art of the car on this auspicious day, as it was previously thought the factory had destroyed all evidence. - Rob

John L said...

I THOUGHT Campbell was looking a bit different!

Anonymous said...

Great replies from Jim and Rob, very amusing. I trust no animals or small children were injured or abused in the course of this April Fools Day Gag.
Peter Garvin

Jim said...

Once bitten, twice shy, Peter! Superb artwork, BTW.