Sunday, April 3, 2011

Adayer Classic.

Peter G says :-


The guy in Perth was incorrect calling the car he was selling a Sportif, it was a Classic, I'd be surprised if more than one survived, check out the brochure.
 
It would be difficult to choose the Ugliest Australian, the field is huge: Adayer, Bufori, Poraga, Porerra, Ferrarino (I think that was the name of the Celica rebody), etc.
Wasn't there a Holden WB rebody from SA (?) that had a RR grille, RR put an injunction on it and I think it quietly died.
 
I think I recall that Dennis Bedford of DRB cars, learned some of his trade while at Bolwell.
Early TD2000 bodies were built at Bolwell.
 
There are a lot of brilliant and not so brilliant ideas on the scrapheap!
The car from Adelaide you are talking about was a stretched limo made from HQ Premier bodies, nicely fitted out inside and with a RR type radiator grille. The grille was modified following the injunction. They actually made quite a few at the time and only recently I saw one doing wedding duties.

4 comments:

Paul Ewins said...

I believe the RR "replica" was called the Glamour or possibly even Glammer.

John L said...

The Glammer was built at the Chief saucepan factory on Port Wakefield Road.

Colin said...

Chief kitchenware was founded in 1946 and is still marketed from 101 Port Wakefield Road Cavan. It was the son of the founder who was into cars and also built the Cerino which was a Ferrari-esque body kit on a Celica.

Unknown said...

Hi You Guys. I have 1 in my back yard.