Thursday, March 13, 2008

B8/12 part 2




I picked these images because some people didn't know that B8/12 spent some time being blue with silver nose and tail. They were taken in 1981. I know that because that was when I first purchased B9/001 which you can see lurking in the background in the 1st pic. This was taken at a picnic at Belair National Park in the hills above Adelaide. You can also see the lowered floor and that lean/mean man with his back to us is Max Ullrich and behind him is Garry Warren. The other two photos were across the road from my house in Parkside. The car was certainly a road car by this time although it retained its alloy foam filled fuel tank and roll bar. Not sure about the Boss 302, race suspension and accoutrements.
In early 1982, Max sold the car to Rankin McKay who lived in Mosman. Rankin's advertising agency work took him to Melbourne and the Bolwell went with him. He used it in Melbourne in 1982-83 eventually passing it on to John Wright. Andrew Giannopoulos acquired it in 1984. Peter Jones and I have a bit of a theory about these cars eventually making their way back to where they started out (I think it's called "State of Origin") and I know that B8/12 is going to move back to Sydney.
I have a few photos of Bolwells competing in Grand Prix Rallies and Andrew's car is in at least two of them and Merryn Jackson's at least one. I'll dig them out.

No comments: