Thursday, October 22, 2020

Race report from Justin.

 


Nagari Racing in UK

HSCC Silverstone 18th Oct 2020

 

Qualifying was interesting. The first thing to come to my attention was the speed in a straight line. Holy cow, just blasts past everything.

It’s just after this where the second thing came to my attention.

 

IT WON’T STOP

 

Well it does eventually. You have to have her straight and settled then start a serious amount of peddle pressure well early. Way before all the people you just blew past and they blow back, obviously…..

 

Appalling unstable, Copse was a ball tightener and I eventually lost it at Becketts after a never ending tank slapper that started at Maggotts.

Qualified 9th out of 31 with a 1.08.8. When I last raced here four years ago that would have had you on pole!!

 

In the break (no pun intended) I put a little more bias to, what Ford laughingly call front brakes. Topped up the fluid and changed my pants.

 

Race:

Rolling start and took it easy for a few laps to get some warmth in the Avon CRZZ. Mustangs, Cobras, +8’s and Elans all over me till the straight……. and wollop….. they all shrink to nothing in the mirror.

 

Till, oh shit BRAKES……

 

Anyway, managed to get to 6th when on lap 17 the old led foot kicked in and I lost her coming out of Woodcote. Gravel, grass, gravel, track. 8 cars went past while I got her back into life.

 

Decided discretion was the better part of valour and cruised back to the paddock. Plus I was knackered.

No damage, packed up and drove her home. Yes I drove the Nagari from London to Silverstone and back. Chris Camp one of her previous owners turned up to cheer team Bolwell along.

 

So a DNF, but I think we have potential. Especially after a 1.07.80 best lap. Anyone got any ideas re better brakes.

 

What did Ford use at Bathurst in 68/69/70?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Prayers

Graeme said...

XT GTs had 11" solid rotors with fixed calipers and 10" drums. The master cylinder was the two external reservoir type with a booster for the discs only, hence 'large' rear wheel cylinders. This boosting arrangement was apparently different to the XR models and non-GT XTs. The XW and XY GTs had 11.25" vented rotors with sliding calipers and 10" drums. The master cylinder had internal twin reservoirs under a common cap. Front and rear were both boosted, so 'small' rear cylinders. I seem to recall that choice of pads and linings was free.