Sunday, February 16, 2020

Justin's dilemma.

I've not had enough experience to answer Justin's question positively so it's over to you experts. Please respond.

Hi John, I think I have no choice now. My efforts to trace the jumping out of 3rd and the leak have run a ground.  I'll have to remove the whole show.

Are there any clever tricks you know of to get the box out without removing the engine?

IE: has anyone ever cut the panel out of the bottom of the chassis from the rear mount back to reveal the extension housing of the gearbox and then bolted it back in?

If this is possible I could easley get the box out with or without bell housing? Or would it not go back far enough to release the input shaft.

One last thing before I dive in. When you undo the detent bolt in the side of the box between 3rd and 4th should the spring "push" against the bolt? I've also put a very strong magnet over the bolt hole and nothing came out?

Aaagh
Justin

Justin Murphy
Producer/Director

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would be checking the detent mechanism is working as intended and linkage adjustment (both statically and under load) very carefully before going to all the trouble of removing the driveline.

Murph 52 said...

I check as much as one can with the box in situ. Linkage all lined up etc and she pops out under load (changing down from 4th to 3rd) Fred Ponder suggested mounting the shifter/linkage to the gearbox. Mine is chassis mounted ala Falcon.! Justin