Monday, August 20, 2012

8-Track Cartridges.

Sorry everyone, I've been mostly off the air the last 2 or 3 months. Mainly health reasons but things like the loss of my trusty MacBook, that seems to contain my whole life, hasn't helped either. Anyway, onwards and upwards and I'll try not to have any further lapses.

Remember the 8-track cartridges? In the early 70s people used to rave about them mainly because of their superior sound quality over cassettes.
They took up a fair bit of room in the dash but everyone thought it was worth it.
The cartridge players came in the GT Falcons of the era. Here's an XYGT dash.
This is the inside of a cartridge.
The tape is on a continuous loop, you can see there is only one reel. In the top right corner is the black rubber pinch roller that does all the work.

This is my old shaker GT. I only had a few cartridges so they had to work overtime. They did take up a lot of glovebox space.
God I loved that car. It just seemed so........(searching for a word).........bulletproof. I reckon it shared equal billing with B8/26 that was our other car at the time.






3 comments:

Maxichamp said...

Our Lincoln Versailles had an 8 track.

Hope you get better soon!

Anonymous said...

John, I fitted an 8 track in B8/24 I built when working at Bolwells.I could only afford 2 cartridges back then.God I got sick of Simon and Garfunkel and the Seekers!Keep up the good work on the blog.
regards,Ross

Anonymous said...

Ah yes. 'Sweet Child of Time" against a background of solids, big cam, radical head, high compression red six with loud extractors, vacuum sucking multiple carbies n all. Rump rump up n down Rundle Street sucking in the fumes from avgas n Castrol R with racing on the Terraces and the Highway. Good sound from the 8 track but dicky speakers of the time also. A great time for a young buck in 1970. When I had B8/67 Kim had jammed a 4 Seasons cassette in the player n I got so sick of Frankie Valli squealing at me as we went street racing n cruising. Col